Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Update and New Departure Plan

It's Wednesday afternoon and our new departure date is tomorrow. Curt now owns a new 2010 black Goldwing. It's a beauty and it will get one heck of a break in. Curt pick it up at McKinney Honda in Ruston yesterday evening (pic at right is just after arrival back at our house), road a bit, then got up early this morning to put some more miles on it. By 8:00am he was having a few items added at Bikes and Trikes, LLC in West Monroe. Shortly after noon, he was back at McKinney Honda with 350 miles on it and getting the initial oil change and valve check done. Before 2:30, he was back at my house with 385 miles on it and ready to cool off and start the final pack for an early departure in the morning.
I can not express enough thanks and appreciation for the amount of help, kindness and support shown to us since Sunday.

Curt can spin his tale later, but let me just say that Steve Alexander (owner) and Eddie Hendry of Bikes and Trikes both came to our aid on a Sunday morning on a holiday weekend. It's and honor to have such great friends. Thanks to Faye Alexander and Kim Hendry for letting their husbands come to our aid. Pictured left to right are Eddie, Curt and Steve. Curt's new ride is ready to roll. As a coincidence...the trike behind them is the Wing that I used to own. It has one more wheel and lots more chrome than when I owned it.

Tuesday morning, the folks at McKinney Honda picked up where Steve and Eddie left off and tracked down further problems with Curt's old Wing and started working up a deal on a new one if he decided to trade. After two different rounds of trailering and a bit of verbal abuse by yours truly, I think he decided to humiliate me and leave here on a newer bike than I own. Ouch! Thanks to all of the staff at McKinney's for putting things together so quickly for Curt. I'm happy for him and hope that we have reached the end of our mechanical problems for this trip. We've been blessed to be home to deal with this. Our brides have been VERY tolerant!

Time to get ready to try again. We want to cover as many miles as we can tomorrow and hope to be north-west of Amarillo, TX before we shut it down for the evening. Keep the comments coming. I'll get a few responses going soon.


2 comments:

  1. I'm headed to get my powerball ticket. I have an empty bag sitting here just in case I need to pack in a few hours when I win the $260M. Heck... pack? Nevermind, I will just by items (including a new bike) on the way. If not you guys have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it may be official. You guys have been heading west/norwest all day so I actually felt confident enough to park my car in the garage tonight... not planning on seeing those bikes back for quite some time.

    Keep the info coming. It's VERY comforting to get those SPOT message along. Although I AM rather enjoying my evening at home alone, I must admit i miss you already... not all the drama, but you. Be safe and have a great ride. lu2

    ReplyDelete