Friday, June 4, 2010

Finally on the Road







The first two day have been a blur. We rode 662 miles yesterday(using my odometer...the Wing says more and I'll give those figures later) and 501 miles today. Both days were about 12 hour days, but we stopped a few more times today to enjoy some of the scenery.



Day 1 was a lot of Texas. If you've never ridden a motorcycle from Farmerville, LA to Amarillo, TX in mostly 90+ degree temps, you've missed quite a treat. The highest moving temperature I saw on my bike yesterday was 101 and today was at 98. The Goldwing doesn't agree on that either. Maybe it's because I had a heavier jacket on than Curt.



We found our first Good Samaritan of the trip in Fort Worth. We managed a wrong turn because my GPS had locked up. I think I have the correct allen wrench to pull the battery to reset it buried somewhere under my seat. I would have had to unload the bike and pull the seat to get to it. While we were gassing up, a gentleman asked where we were headed. I asked him if he happened to have any allen wrenches in his truck...and hew drug out an emergency tool kit and offered up just what I needed. Then he offered to give me the allen set in case I needed it again. Folks can be great. He even sent us to what he described as the best BBQ joint in Texas...the Railhead. There were a lot of people there and I have to admit that the ribs were pretty darn good. Dinner found us at the Big Texan in Amarillo. If you can eat the 72 oz steak and the trimmings, it's free. I don't think that happens very often.



We traveled I-20 and Highway 287 all of day one. There's just not a lot to see between Amarillo and home, but it was fun. It was just the usual fair of cows, scrubs trees and a herd of camels...I guess you call them herds. We thought the heat was really getting to us at that point. Maybe a wrong turn or something.



Day 2 started with some more of Texas, but definitely some different scenery before the day was out. We saw lots of antelope and Curt even spotted a big coyote. We traveled some absolutely spectacular roads on our way to Durango, Colorado. We rode Hwy 287/87, FM354(I love it when the GPS picks a really great little road), and HWY 385 To Dalhart, TX, then followed HWY 87 and 64 to Clayton, NM and Raton, NM. From there we headed up I-25 to Walsenberg and then took Hwy 160 west all the way to Durango. We came through portions of the Rio Grande National Forest, crossed the Continental Divide, and reached out highest elevation of the day at Wolf Creek Pass (10,850 feet). Curt says the views get better tomorrow. I'm sure he's right, but it's been a long time since I was in this part of the country and snow capped mountains in June are not normal Louisiana viewing.
Well, more later. Curt is already trying to sleep and I'm fading fast. Pics I just threw on here are not in order. I'll figure all that out later and actually set up a Picassa site with more. Good night all. ILMSOYID.






2 comments:

  1. Well, it looks like ya'll might actually make it to Alaska BEFORE we do! I didn't get any spot messages today ~ tell my husband to check it and be sure it is working! Enjoy the ride. I'm sure that you aren't having as much fun as me ~ I am playing fairies with my grandaughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a blast - you'll probably find your chats with strangers wanting to give you their tool box to be some of the best memories of your trip.
    Oh, I thought you said that was Curt "on" the Utah sign, I see him. Sorry Curt couldn't help myself.

    ReplyDelete