Thursday, June 10, 2010

From the "Butte" to the "Mac"

Big Bear says I have to start earning my keep and fill in some of the blog, so here goes the G-Bear on the loose.  I'll have to type this fast before he has a chance to edit.
We arrived in Butte, Montana late Monday,June 7.  We spotted our hotel while gassing up.  I made a beeline for the hotel after the fill-up stop.  The bee-line turned out to be the entrance ramp to I-90 rather that the parking lot.  Big Bear followed me like he had good sense .  After a brief detour and an unauthorized cut-thru on the interstate, I managed to get us back to the hotel.   Big Bear nearly laughed his you know what off, and I claimed grace under the three screw-up rule ( my second one).
After a much needed nights rest at the Best Western, we headed out West on I-90 toward Missoula. Before we reached Missoula, MT, I took BB on a little side excursion called the Pinlet Loop, which takes Hwy 1 through the mountains and past some gorgeous lakes and rolling countryside.
After reaching Missoula, we turned North on Hwy 93 toward Kalispell, going through Polson and around Flathead Lake, a truly beautiful place with a Wow factor off the charts.
I say the first bald eagle of the trip while looping Flathead Lake.   Big Bear missed the eagle !  I'm not sure what he was looking at, he missed a spectacular site.
We skipped through Kalispell, focusing on heading into Glacier National Park.  I took Big Bear to a favorite stopping place called "The Huckleberry Patch" in West Glacier.  The homemade huckleberry pie is to die for.  (blew the diet today).
Full of pie we headed into Glacier National Park.  At the park entrance we were told that the pass was closed due to heavy snow.   That added and extra 50 miles to go around the park instead of through it.
It was quite a ride and chock full of mountains, twistes, and awesome scenery.  One of the most beautiful spots we saw was Lake St. Mary's.  I snapped a photo BB will likely load for your viewing.
Following Hwy 89 to the Canadian border was a bikers dream with twist after twist.
Finally we made it to Canada about 5:30 PM local time and sighed with relief after both of us crossed without issue.
We headed North on our first Canadian highway which are well maintained.   It is quite a brain change since everything is measured in metrics and you have to convert the miles to kilometers.  BB said I was speeding and he didn't want to spend the night in a Canadian jail.  I told him the sign said 90 and I was only going 85 so what was the big deal.  He then told me kilometers per hour, not miles per hour.  90 kpm is about 60 mph.   Picky picky picky.
We out ran a huge rain storm making it to Fort MacLeod for the night.   The motel selection did not meet our expectaions but we choose the Red Coat Inn, and despite it's small room size, was quite clean.
We made 456 miles today, we are tired, we are going to sleep. More tomorrow and hopefully more pics.

GB and BB

2 comments:

  1. This update is WORTHLESS without PICTURES????
    Ride Safe

    ReplyDelete
  2. GB - you are a hoot - loved your story and yes some pics please.
    Stay safe

    ReplyDelete