Thursday, July 15, 2010

WHAT A RIDE !!

Below are comments from both GB(Curt) and BB(Ray).  GB starts it off.  We've not been complete in our descriptions of our journey, but believe that we spoke to friends and family along the way...and they were all very supportive.  Thanks!


Well folks, the last chapter of the Bears adventure was semi-uneventful except for the mountain of anticipation about getting home. You know, that place where you can sigh relief, review images of your adventure and begin to enlarge if not exaggerate the things you have seen, felt , endured and enjoyed.
The last 370 miles from Harrisonville, MO to Conway, AR on Sunday, July 11, started out warm and got warmer as we closed in on I-40 and Fort Smith. We encountered a brief shower about 100 miles from our start and stopped to cover up bags and put on our raingear for the last time. The shower was brief and within ten minutes we were dry and HOT, with the raingear on. With impending clouds we rode on until GB began to strip away the layers and stuff them behind the luggage, ( while still riding). We stopped once for water and gas with GB stating that this was his last stop until he got home. (still 260 miles to go).

As we made our turn onto I-40 at Fort Smith, AR. , we got pounded by rain in a hard downpour for about 5 miles. GB never slowed down and didn’t stop to put on his raingear. Wet would be a blessing in the upcoming heat. Within just a few minutes we remembered why we had taken a Northern route to get home. Holy Moses it was getting hot.

Big Bear rode trailer all morning and seemed to disappear in the heavy rain. He never takes his raingear off and never takes his jacket off during the hot spells, preferring to utilize the evaporative cooling principle that if you sweat inside the jacket, the warm air will cool you. The theory does work …with one small side effect. After 39 days of sweat , rain, bugs and road grim, that jacket was ugly in more than one way. Now you know why he rode trailer most of the way. It might explain the death of wildflowers along the highways throughout much of South Dakota on July 9 and 10. To say he got his money’s worth out of that garment is an understatement. However, the manufacturer could have spared humanity with a Scent-lok application. Nuff-said ! (BB here…can’t believe he’s picking on my jacket. Only one hotel desk clerk told me unsolicited where the hotel laundry was located. And, that was when we were nearly home.)

GB wants it recorded that he was in favor of continuing travel on Saturday, July 10 in order to be home with his beloved. I believe the boy was more homesick than he let on. Or…maybe it was the jacket ??
As the old fellow in Wyoming told Big Bear after hearing of the adventure and sensing the determination in his voice to get home, “sounds like you boys are smelling the barn”.
The final stretch into Conway and home for GB was littered with passed vehicles as his focus narrowed on getting home to his sweetheart and overdue hugs and kisses.
But…not so fast. GB almost made it home without stopping for gas…almost. As we made our final approach, his bike hiccupped indicating he was out of gas. He coasted into a Citgo station just ¾ of a mile from his house as he filled up for the last time and BB juiced up with hopes of his last fill-up before home.

Here is where GB owes an apology to the State of Oregon for the outburst about folks who aid you in the distribution of gas to prevent gasoline spills, who needs that. Well it seems BB does since his nozzle did not trip and he ran about ½ gallon of gasoline onto the ground and all over the finish of his Beemer at the last fill-up. OOPs.

GB got a great surprise as he turned into his driveway. His sweetie had told him that she would not be returning from her trip to Monroe until almost 8:00 PM. His eyes sparkled and his smile widened as he saw the garage open and Kathy’s car in the garage. She was out the door and …well that is sort of personal!!(yeah, and I had to watch)

She was reluctant to hug BB…I’m pretty sure it was the jacket(again with the jacket). Not sure if that was why her eyes were watering or not??


WOW ! WHAT A RIDE !!!

GB’s odometer showed 12,370 miles, that’s 15 miles short of 12000 miles for the adventure which began from BB’s house on June 3. ( If you throw in the 200 miles he rode on the other bike to get to BB’s house we clearly exceeded 12,000).

After much insistence from Mrs. GB, Big Bear ate a quick bite before departing for Cross Roads and his sweetie. He couldn’t wait to get that jacket on again. I think he has a thing for the jacket.


GB writes:
Check a big one from the Bucket List for me. The fact that we did it gives me a great deal of satisfaction and accomplishment. The fact that our wives supported us and even encouraged us is even more phenomenal. We LOVE you both.

I couldn’t have asked for a better traveling partner. He didn’t always agree with me on everything, but he never once gripped about it regardless of how much I irritated him. I believe that a journey of this kind changes a person in many ways. I’ve seen a more patient BB and I am inspired by his compassion for others no matter where he was or who he was with. His courtesy and respect toward others is genuine.

I am blessed that he is my friend !!!

Okay this makes up for the Senior trip in “69, you are formally forgiven !!!
ADVICE:  Make plans and pursue your dreams!!!  It is never too late. Call me, I’ll help you plan !!

You know, I’ve always wanted to see Nova Scotia and I hear they have roads there…….


BB here:
GB has again eloquently stated things. I’ve been reflecting on our ride and have been asked by my neighbor if Curt and I were still friends after such a long trip. YEP! I couldn’t have asked for a better traveling companion and I am glad to hear that I didn’t irritated old GB too much. Besides being a great friend and traveling companion, he’s better than any darned GPS on the market. That boy can smell where to turn! I think that the overall sense of adventure and desire to enjoy the opportunity certainly inspired me to want to be a good traveling companion. I hate to admit it, but I may have inadvertently irritated old GB (other than with the jacket) in a few ways. I promise that it was never intentional(well, maybe a little bit a few times).

Good friends travel well together and support each other. I thought we did and I’m glad to hear GB felt that way too. I never felt like GB would not be there if I needed him. He even waited patiently every time I put all that riding gear on. Friends do that, and more! BTW, I abandoned the jacket in Monticello, AR on the way home. I couldn’t stand the heat any more. I finished the trip with SPF 70 sunscreen for protection instead of the riding jacket. Sorry MSF!

As to the part about our brides…ditto…plus, I add my gratitude for their love and support in everything we do. I love you both, especially the one that allowed me to be on the road on both our 33rd wedding anniversary and one of her birthdays.

Time to plan another trip!!!  I'll still post a few more pics and continue to post occasional roadtrips on this link.

In the words of my buddy in Ocshners..."have a good life".  I like taking it beyond the day.
da bears

Below, a picture of unknown origin contributed by one of our brides.  Kind of goes with the post card I sent to the OPSB DP Gang.
Sorry, but we never rode around to the other side of Mount Rushmore.  Another one of those missed photo ops!

No comments:

Post a Comment